Finals week: we all dread it, and yet we all have to go through it. Months of hard work, dedication, and studying all lead to this moment! It’s a tough week to get through, and it can be both mentally and physically exhausting. Do you have a tough time getting through it? Check out our five very handy tips that can help you survive finals week.
- Get the Details. This might seem like an obvious one, but stress makes it difficult to retain information and memories. Before your exams, collect and verify all the details. I’m talking location, time, etc. You need to know if they are scheduled at your usual class time or on a different day. The little things can help the organization process become a much smoother one.
- Try Different Study Methods. There are so many different ways to study, and everyone has something that works for them. You can try flashcards, comics, rewriting notes, anything that produces positive results for you. It doesn’t matter what the method is, as long as you’re retaining the information. It should also be noted that you should switch subjects every two or three hours as it’s easier on the mind. Our brains were not designed to study the same topic for long periods of time.
- Make Time for Sleep. Losing sleep is common during exam period — but this is something that needs to be rectified. Without proper rest you cannot function properly, and your mind will not be as receptive to information. Aim to get a good eight hours every night so that you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go. It’s worth it!
- Remember to Eat. When you’re stressed, it can be very easy to forget to eat. Pack healthy snacks and well-balanced lunches to keep you going throughout the day. Food is fuel for the mind as well as the body, so you need to ensure that it’s being properly nourished. Have some junk food at the end to celebrate, but keep things healthy so that you stay focused during finals week.
- Turn Off Social Media. Social media is a huge distraction, and one that’s so easy to access. Finals generally only lasts one week, so for that time period turn off your social media, uninstall it from your phone, and take time away from it. It’s great for your mental health, but it will also give you more time to focus — not to mention that you should stay away from posts bragging about how easy an exam was that you found hard; your confidence doesn’t need to be knocked.
To Conclude. Finals week is tough, but it can be made easier. Everything above might seem simple, but it’s so easy to forget to take care of yourself when you’re stressed out. You may even get to a point where you think to yourself, “I’d love to pay someone to do my homework!” While that may be an option, taking time to breathe deeply and look after yourself so you can enter your exams feeling fresh — this goes a long way! Try new study methods, stay away from your social media accounts, and just do your best. Have faith that you’ll get through it, because you will!