There are a lot of reasons for business trips. Perhaps your position and job are also associated with frequent business trips. Whatever the reason for the trip, in order for it to go well, before leaving, you should answer the following questions:
- Why am I going for this trip? You need to understand clearly the purpose of your trip. The tasks, set for you, should also be known to those, who will meet you and work with you during your business trip. Understanding the expected results will help everyone to feel comfortable and confident, to concentrate on preparing for the forthcoming work, which in turn will undoubtedly become the key to effective use of working time.
- Who do I need to meet, who should I call back during the trip? “. Arrival without warning is a rudeness. This kind of trip may (and probably will) be little or absolutely ineffective. After all, with some effort to get to your destination, you can find out that the person you need will be absent during the next week. Show good manners: in advance, warn about your plans for the trip, and bring your schedule closer to the schedule of the host party, making it convenient for the hosts.
- What do I need to bring with me? The value and effectiveness of your meetings during a business trip could be significantly reduced if you do not have the necessary materials and documents. If you pre-set yourself such a question, it will help you not only to remember about the necessary papers and other materials, but also to check whether they are ready.
- What will be the next step after the trip? Your business trip can be only the first step along the long road that your company is heading towards the goals set. If you know the ultimate goal, it will be easier for you to avoid stops and detours.
Start planning your trip as soon as its dates are finally determined. Do not wait for special conditions, immediately start ordering tickets and places in the hotel: the cost is unlikely to decreases in time. Having bought the tickets, start compiling a list of information necessary for the successful conduct of your business trip. This list should include:
- Flight information to the destination: flight number, time and place of departure and arrival; the name of the airline and the corresponding phone numbers.
- Information about the land transport you need: the name of the agency where you rented / ordered the car and confirmation of your order. You can make the process of car rental much easier with the help of car rental app .
- Name of the hotel in which you will reside, its address, phone numbers, and the number of your order.
- The time and place of meetings scheduled for the business trip (if possible, with the appropriate phone numbers).
- The host names, the numbers of their phones and faxes, and, if available, an e-mail address.
- Information on catering (if any).
- Planned evening social events.
- Information on your return journey: flight number, time and place of departure and arrival; name of the airline and the corresponding numbers.
Having made such a list, make a copy of it, give one to your assistant / secretary or chief, another – to someone from your family or friend.
When preparing your trip, do not forget about the possible time difference and, with its account, indicate the time in the list of necessary information. Having a short trip, the time difference may be not noticeable. For long trips, try to arrive a couple of days earlier in order to be able to adapt to changes in time.
While planning your trip, it is useful to talk to colleagues from your company who have already been on a business trip, and to get recommendations and advice from them. The more you learn before your trip, the easier it will pass.
When packing for a business trip, bear in mind a simple rule: take what is necessary, and leave everything else at home. Obviously, in addition to the necessary materials, documents, mobile phone and personal computer, you should take clothes and all things necessary to care for yourself.
Of course, no one wants to load himself or herself with extra baggage. In order to decide what to add, you need to find out:
- What will the weather be where you are going. Not only television and newspapers, but also the Internet will help you to find the answer. Learn about the weather not only at the destination, but also at stops, connections, in case you have to stay there.
- What will you do, in which events will you have / you plan to participate. The more concrete your plans become, the easier for you is to prepare by picking up suitable, necessary clothes.
Those who often travel, as a rule, have a list of the main things that are constantly put into their luggage. In addition, such people are having the order of packing, which defines, what is put in a suitcase, and what – in hand luggage. The experience of many businesspersons, who often have to travel shows that in a bag or a small suitcase that you take with you to the cabin of an airplane, you should keep:
– necessary documents: passport (with a visa if necessary), names and contact numbers of your business partners, tickets;
– money and traveler’s checks;
– working materials and documents, business cards;
– visual materials for the presentation: slides, photographs, etc .;
– the medicines you use;
– cosmetic set / shaving kit, other things necessary for personal care;
– an additional pair of socks, tights and linen;
– spare clothing.
Adding these things to hand luggage, you will have the opportunity to keep yourself in a proper condition, and if your luggage will be lost, you can still participate at the working meetings (having money, working papers and clothes to change). On a business trip you, of course, want to feel comfortable. In general, your clothes should reflect your professional status and position. Picking clothes, remember the corporate policy of your company and the company where you are going, and do not forget about the nature and purpose of the trip. In any case, it is better to choose in favor of a professional image.